Dearest Family,
I AM IN CALIFORNIA! I can't even believe it. I've only been here 6 days, but it seems like forever. I have so much to tell you I don't even know where to start!
We got here to Cali at like 10 last Tuesday. It was me and 32 elders :) It was kind of funny. I got tons of special attention from everyone because I was the only girl and it was kind of annoying. Oh well :)
We had an orientation with the AP's and President Bubert. I really like Pres Bubert. He's awesome. Sister Bubert is great as well. Because there were so many of us on the same flight they had to have several ward members help take us to the mission office.
I got assigned to a threesome: Sister Wasden from Rexburg ID and Sister Jessop from American Samoa. They're great. I was surprised that I was in a threesome. I guess the Lord knows best what would help me learn the most. The night I got here I felt so very alone. Not in a bad way necessarily, but it was just so weird thinking that I was here in an area where I knew no one, and I would be with these two sisters for the next 12 weeks prob. It was such an interesting feeling. But you get to know companions pretty fast. Being in a threesome is hard for me because when there are two other sisters it's easy for me to let them do most of the contacting and talk to people. But I'm really working on making myself be less scared to talk to people.
We are in the Los Alamitos ward. It's a pretty big ward, but we share it with three elders. So there are 6 missionaries in the same ward. Funny, huh? The ward is super friendly and we eat dinner with a member family every night. It makes me wish we could have fed the missionaries more often.
The weather here is beautiful. It still gets a little chilly in the mornings and the evenings, but during the day it's so nice. I think I got a little sunburned the other day. I was confused the other night when I was writing in my journal because I forgot what month it was. March is not supposed to be warm! But I like it.
Sister Wasden and Sister Jessop are super nice. I'm sure they think I'm super weird, but whatevs. Haha, most people think I'm weird. But it's okay, I'm used to it ;) They ride bikes in the morning for exercise. The second day I decided I wanted to run instead while they rode and I almost died. But it was such a good workout haha. My lungs were dying. I think it was hard because of the humidity. But we're going to run more often in the mornings now I think, so I can run slower because they'll also be running. This morning we ran on the Mixed Forces Base. That was fun. It smelled super great. I missed the smell of the country but we got it there because of the big fields.
We got a new investigator this week! It was super exciting because we only have one other investigator currently. Apparently that is how it has been in this area for a long time. And it's been super frustrating for the missionaries. Most of what we do is visit less active members. But it's hard because we don't really do anything when we go over except talk and then share a spiritual thought at the end. I don't really feel like a missionary right now because we don't tract very much, we don't contact many people, and we don't teach very many lessons. We spend so much time driving around. I don't love it.
When we walk along the street we try to contact people, but we don't see very many people in the neighborhoods during the day time, and we don't talk to everyone we see. And so far we have only gone knocking once. And it was just for like 30 minutes. And we didn't have much success. Some people are pretty mean, and some are just super funny, and they are all so confused. I am working on contacting more how PMG says-testify quickly so that the Spirit can confirm that truth to them and they will want to listen. When we just say hi and explain who we are and then ask them if they've heard of our church and if they would like a card, there is nothing for the Spirit to confirm to them.
Idk, what are your suggestions on how to contact people? I feel like PMG is probably right, even though most people think it's super weird to just immediately start sharing gospel truths. You should give me advice on how to contact. That, right now, is the hardest things for me. I'm trying to have more faith in the promise that if I open my mouth it will be filled.
The other night we were walking and I hadn't met my goal of how many people I (individually) wanted to contact. We were walking along and we passed a Mom and her two kids. We said hello and just walked past and I was like-what the heck? Talk to her Bekah!-so I just blurted out something like "Hi! We're missionaries and we have a beautiful message about how families can be together forever. Could we come by sometime and share that message with you?" and it was super lame and jumbled. But she stopped and asked us who we were and then she said yes! And I was speachless because no one had yet said yes to me before :) She didn't set up an apt, darn it, but she said we could come by sometime and told us where he house was. I know nothing has really come of it so far, but it was a cool experience for me because I know it wasn't what I said that made her interested. Because I said it so poorly. But God can make them hear things better than I can say them. Hopefully we can stop by tomorrow and visit her.
Here is something I have learned in my scripture study the past little bit. I don't have time to type the scriptures, but here are the references. Look them up :)
They're mostly all in 1 Nephi: 2:19, 3:16, 4:1, and 4:34. I was thinking about why Laman and Lemuel, after all the times it says that they humbled themselves before the Lord, still fell away again and again. I was thinking about all the innactive members that we visit and why they are not active anymore. And I think I found my answer.
Here is a challenge: try to think about WHY the Gospel means so much to you. Think about what is has done in your life, about why you're different because of it. I am trying to remember that more often and understand it better because as I do, I will want to share it with other people. It brings a joy that nothing else-NOTHING ELSE-can bring. Why would I be so selfish to keep it to myself?
Thank you all for your letters. I love them. I know I've only been gone for like 3 weeks, but it seems so much longer than that haha. And the longer I am here, and the more people I meet, the more I realize how blessed I am. I can't even believe how much God has blessed me with such an amazing family, who have taught me vital truths and I've had them my whole life. We visited a family last night and my heart ached for them-I wish they could know what I know. Hopefully we can help them know that. They have the gospel, but there is so much in the gospel that they can still partake of.
Will you pray for Sara? And her husband? Thank you :)
Milla, I met a girl named Ronny and she is about to turn 12. But she reminded me so much of you. I love you! Jennis, I miss your hair expertise and your fashion advice. And mostly I just miss talking to you! Every night I just want to talk to you guys and tell you all about my day. But I can't. And I have to be content to write it all in my journal and then look at pictures.
Lise and Dan-I don't have your family picture. Will you send me one? Dan R, thanks for your letter. I loved it. Even if it's the only one ;)
I love this Gospel. I can't even imagine where I'd be without it. I've been thinking lots about prayer lately. It is so important in my life. I pray so often. And even though I pray so often my prayers can still be meaningful and fervent. Missionaries have to rely so much on the Lord because we have no idea how to help these people we meet. Only God does. I'm so grateful we had family prayer always. And that I learned to pray aloud and that it's not weird or uncomfortable for me. Thanks Mom and Dad :)
Mom, there is a woman in our ward who is sisters to Mary Rolley-Craig and Jeff's Mom. So that was fun.
K, there are like 4 elders waiting to use this computer, so I need to hurry. Thank you for your love and support. Be happy! Remember that life is so short and the most important things are not usually the stressful things.
This week I learned that I love milk. I drink way too much. I also learned that I love washing dishes. I think it's because it is the only time I can just let my mind wander and do something with my hands. So I always wash the dishes. I'm trying to read my BoM in Spanish while I eat lunch every day. Hopefully I'll know Spanish much better by the time I come home.
Okay, really.
I love you!
Love,
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment