Dear Family,
Anna was the only one that wrote me this week. Winning. :)
This week was rather interesting.
On Wednesday we knocked into a family from Jerusalem. They were so nice. They invieted us in, and talked to us and then started feeding us. They gave us this stuffed zuchini (it was so good) and then gave us some super yum baclava (spelling?). And they kept talking in Arabic to each other and it sounded so awesome. I was so amazed by their kindness and hospitality. Sometimes I wish we had that hospitality in our culture.
About 2 months ago they disbanded the Spanish branch in our area and incorporated all of the Spanish speaking members into the family wards where they lived. It was really hard for a lot of people-especially those that didn't speak any English. There were a few families that came to our ward and I am so impressed with their faith. On Sunday, Sister Gutierrez stopped us in the hall and asked to speak with us. And then, with the few english words that she knows, she said, "you come to my house at 6:30?" So we said, "yes, we can do that" not quite understanding why. But we went over. And they had prepared this super yum food for us. It was definitely authentic mexican food. It was so good! :) So this week we have had authentic palestinian and mexican food. It was awesome :)
This week I have been studying a lot about finding the Lord's approval. Our zone leader, Elder Tidwell, gave both Sister Henderson and I this study assignment. He was so inspired! We have the best zone leaders ever btw. I'm not excited for transfers haha. As I have been thinking about this topic, I have realized that often I hold myself to a higher standard than the Lord expects of me. How silly is that?! Who am I to think that I should put my expectations higher than those of the my Heavenly Father, the God who created me? I am really trying to remember to focus on gaining the Lord's approval and not anyone else's. There are two accounts in the Book of Mormon that really illustrate (perhaps especially for missionaries but I think it applies to everyone) what the Lord expects of us.
In Alma 8 we read the account of how Alma-the High Priest in the Church, an amazing missionary, someone who has the Spirit of the Lord with him, who is worthy, etc etc-goes to the city of Ammonihah to preach. Despite his talent and ability as a missionary, despite his worthiness and righteousness, the peaople reject him. vs 10 states "Alma labored much in the spirit, wrestling with God in mighty prayer, that he would pour out his Spirite upon the people who were in the city; that he would also grant that he might baptize them unto repentance. Nevertheless, they hardened their hearts...and withstood all his words, and reviled him, and spit upon him, and caused that he sould be cast out of their city." Not a very successful journey if you would ask an human being. And Alma felt it. He journeyed, "being weighed down with sorrow, wading through much tribulation and anguish of soul, because of the wickedness of the people." He was frustrated, he was full of sorrow. But it was at this time in his life-at this point in his mission-that the Lord assurred him of his approval and love. An angel of the Lord told him "Blessed art thou, Alma; therefore, lift up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God" (Alma 8:15). In this awful point of his life he was told he had great cause to rejoice! Why? Because he was faithful in keeping the commandments. Not that he was successful, not that everyone listened to him-not because he could help everyone and convert everyone and serve everyone the way he wanted-but because he was faithful.
A similar account is found in Helaman 10. After Nephi is imprisoned and the people are angry with him-after he tried his hardest to teach the people and they rejected him. And he was told "Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word...unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments. And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever" (Helaman 10:4-5). I love these verses especially because he lists 3 important things that Nephi did-things that we can do. He preached with unwearyingness, he didn't fear the people, he didn't seek his own life but sought the will of Heavenly Father.
In Alma 8 we read the account of how Alma-the High Priest in the Church, an amazing missionary, someone who has the Spirit of the Lord with him, who is worthy, etc etc-goes to the city of Ammonihah to preach. Despite his talent and ability as a missionary, despite his worthiness and righteousness, the peaople reject him. vs 10 states "Alma labored much in the spirit, wrestling with God in mighty prayer, that he would pour out his Spirite upon the people who were in the city; that he would also grant that he might baptize them unto repentance. Nevertheless, they hardened their hearts...and withstood all his words, and reviled him, and spit upon him, and caused that he sould be cast out of their city." Not a very successful journey if you would ask an human being. And Alma felt it. He journeyed, "being weighed down with sorrow, wading through much tribulation and anguish of soul, because of the wickedness of the people." He was frustrated, he was full of sorrow. But it was at this time in his life-at this point in his mission-that the Lord assurred him of his approval and love. An angel of the Lord told him "Blessed art thou, Alma; therefore, lift up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God" (Alma 8:15). In this awful point of his life he was told he had great cause to rejoice! Why? Because he was faithful in keeping the commandments. Not that he was successful, not that everyone listened to him-not because he could help everyone and convert everyone and serve everyone the way he wanted-but because he was faithful.
A similar account is found in Helaman 10. After Nephi is imprisoned and the people are angry with him-after he tried his hardest to teach the people and they rejected him. And he was told "Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word...unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments. And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever" (Helaman 10:4-5). I love these verses especially because he lists 3 important things that Nephi did-things that we can do. He preached with unwearyingness, he didn't fear the people, he didn't seek his own life but sought the will of Heavenly Father.
Okedoke, my thoughts are all scattered, so I apologize for the randomness. I am so grateful to be on a mission. I am learning so much. I love this work. It truly does bring greater joy than I have yet experienced.
Thank you for your love and support. Write me :) I hope everything is going well! I'm definitely praying for you. Don't forget to do the small and simple things.
Love,
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment