I LOVE being a missionary. It truly is the most amazing thing I have ever done. It brings greater happiness than I've ever felt. It is the most rewarding work I have been involved in.
This week has been amazing. But because I want to just focus on the 2 miracles I'm not going to do my usual run down of the week. But I'll just do the weekend.
Thursday night: We had the baptismal interviews for all the girls. I was a little worried as I have never prepared a 10, 12, and 13 yr old for baptism. I didn't know if they would be ready or even what it means to be ready at that age. But as each one went in and Elder Mosteller (our district leader) came back out with them he said they were all so very prepared and ready to make this step. I was so very happy.
Brother Walk and Johnathan Evans were there. They were going to do the baptizing-Bro Walk of Lisa and Johnathan of Ashley and Lexus. We picked out their white clothes and they were all so excited. We went over the program, finalized songs/speakers, and talked just a little about baptism. It was a busy but awesome night :)
After they left we had our interview with our district leader (something they're trying out in our mission is interviews rather than Sunday evening calls. It is pretty good. We'll see if they keep doing it this next transfer). I guess I was just emotionally tired because I started crying. And crying. And it was SO embarrassing. As surprising as it might sound, I don't really cry on my mission. So it was kinda weird. But it all was okay and I realized that God always loves me, even when I don't do everything the way I would like to (and know I should) do it. Elder Mosteller gave me a blessing. I am so grateful for the power of the priesthood.
Friday: We had our Christmas conference! It was beautiful! We were able to watch the Christmas devotional. I loved it. However, it wouldn't load for a really long time and they asked me and 2 other sisters to do an impromptu musical number while we waited. So that was fun :)
I realized how grateful I am for the Savior as we watched videos of His life, heard a living prophet speak, and afterwards read The Living Christ. I thought a lot about my gift to Jesus this year that day. I want so badly to remember Him always. And not get caught up in the everything else of Christmas. He truly is the reason for this Christmas season. How grateful we should be for the precious gift of the Atonement, which makes any and all happiness, peace, progression, cleansing, and joy possible.
Saturday: This was a magical day. In the morning we were able to work with two other sisters. I love them. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to get to know so many more missionaries. Right after that we met to practice our musical number for Sunday. I was playing the violin and Sister Ward (a member in our ward who we're going to eat breakfast with on Christmas :) was playing the flute. We played the First Noel and Joy to the World. And then it was time to set up for the baptism. We set up the room. We knew there were going to be a lot of people so we took out everything that we didn't need in there and set up so many chairs. We then ran home and ate and came back to the Church. The girls arrived and we helped them change into their white clothes.
Lisa (10) Me (22 :) Lexus (12) Sister King and Ashley (13) Aren't they beautiful?!
It was awesome because their sister Jazmine was able to come as well with her boyfriend. We were so happy to see them there.
Brother Walk was there and then Johnathan got there. What a beautiful group :)
The baptism started just a little late and it was packed. I was so happy to see so many people there-both from our ward and from other wards. It was amazing. It was really neat to see how many people were involved. One of the ward missionaries conducted. The Stake President was there to preside as well as his counselor, Bro Ward. The Young Women's president (Sister Ward) played the piano and I was able to lead the music. The wife of their home teacher (Sister Wilson) gave the opening prayer and her boys (Gabe and Lex) gave the first talk on baptism. And then came the magical part-the beautiful, sacred ordinance of baptism. Sister King and I went back to help them. It was so neat to see how excited they were as each one went down, starting with Ashley, to take this step on their journey to living with God.
I've been studying baptism a lot lately. I have wondered, why does God ask us to make covenants? I've realized that it is in order to bless us. We've talked a lot about the baptismal covenant. What does it mean? I've come to understand that it means so much more than being washed from our sins. While that is a crucial, beautiful aspect, it also represents our commitment to follow the Savior for the rest of our lives.
Here is one of my favorite scriptures on baptism:
"And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?"
This is what we promise God when we get baptized. I want to be so much better at keeping this covenant.
While we helped them get ready again they had a testimony meeting. I heard that their Mom, Cheri, gave a beautiful testimony. I loved that she was able to do that.
When we came back out there was a talk on the Holy Ghost. After that the primary children sang When I am Baptized. It was so beautiful. The Spirit was so very strong. It was definitely the most powerful baptism I have ever been to.
I am so grateful I was able to be a part of this beautiful experience. I was thinking about missing snow and having a white Christmas, and I got the best White Christmas I ever could have asked for :)
The Gospel is true. Don't ever forget to put the most important things first.
I love you!
Love,
Sister Andelin
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment