This is a repeat post from my other blog. Just FYI.
On Wednesday, November 28th I received my mission call. Because of school and work and clinical and dance I wasn't able to open it until about 9:00 pm. Most of my family was there, either in person or on skype. It almost seems like a dream to look back at it. I had had a long day, I was tired, and I was so very excited to see where I was going to be called to serve.
I opened it in the kitchen:
I pulled out the packet, then pulled out the letter. It was upside down. As I turned it over I caught a glimpse of the word "Long" before I could cover it up. I hurried and covered it and then began reading from the top.
"Dear Sister Andelin,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the California Long Beach Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months. You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, February 27th. Prepare to preach the gospel in the English language."
I was...surprised. I had really wanted to learn a language. If I was going to serve stateside I thought for sure I would go to the East Coast. Also, I have never loved California very much. But as I continued reading the letter I felt such a peace and an enveloping of Heavenly Father's love. I know I was called to serve in the California Long Beach Mission. That is where the Lord wants me to be. As I have continued to learn about my mission I have gotten more and more excited.
As you may know, happiness has been something I care lots about. I mean, everyone does. But I've thought and studied and written about it a lot. Thus, this is one of my favorite parts:
"The Lord will reward you for the goodness of your life and greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you."
I am so excited to go serve the Lord. Ever since receiving my call my perspective has changed dramatically. I have been more acutely aware of my weaknesses and imperfections. I have had so many questions. And I have had fears about my inadequacies. But I also have seen how the Lord is so perfectly aware of me. I have had guidance given that perfectly matches what I need. I have gained a much greater testimony of the inspired origin of Preach My Gospel. I hope that as I continue to prepare I will gain a greater testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ, of His atonement, of the principles of the gospel, and of the importance of the work that I will be doing. I am reminded of what it says in the Living Christ, "God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son."

I am SOOO excited for you!!! And I am really excited to respond to your great question asap! (hopefully sometime today or tomorrow!)
ReplyDelete