Monday, July 29, 2013

July 22nd, 2013

Dear Family, 

I'm so glad that Grandpa's funeral went well. How awesome that so many of the grandkids were able to be there. Who is all on a mission? Me, Hyrum & Melissa (I'm so jealous they are serving together in LV), Catherine (in Canada), and Kevin (in Florida). Right? Who am I missing? Is Bryce gone? Rachel Monteirth? 

This week has been a good week. I've learned a lot. We found 2 new investigators and unfortunately for us we have to pass them to the singles ward elders. Darn the singles ward! But it's okay :) We're all on the same team so it's totally good. 

This week I have been thinking a lot about 1 Nephi 3:7. I know it is such a commonly quoted scripture. But when I truly stop to think and ponder about it I am blown away by the truth and the faith that is in that one verse. One of the sisters in our mission (Sister Bauer-who is super amazing and sometimes I feel like I should just be her haha) wrote a song from that verse. It's beautiful. I've heard her sing it twice and I've been singing the chorus to myself all week (since I don't know the rest). "I will go and do the things that you command me for I know that you'll provide the way. Give me strength to shine and share your light. Lord I need you to help me go and do." The actual scripture is even more powerful: 

"I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord given no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."  

I know that that is true. Sometimes we are given hard things to do. And sometimes we don't know how we can accomplish them. But the Lord will never give us something we can't do. And as long as we are not disobeying His commandments, there will always be a way for us to do whatever He requires of us. We are never put in situations that are too hard for us to handle.  What a beautiful principle. 

This week I have really learned the power of prayer. When we are contacting on the street and someone lets us talk to them we always try to pray with them. I never really understood the reason behind this. I kind of felt like it was just a numbers game because in order to count it on our key indicators we had to pray with them. But this week I have seen the amazing impact that prayer has on people. It can bring the Spirit so quickly and create "sacred space" in which that person can have his or her heart softened and be much more open to learning about the Gospel. 

Okedoke, I need to head pretty soon. Maybe I'll try to attach some pictures. Thanks for being awesome. I love you so much! Families are the best ever. Don't forget what is most important. The Gospel is true! 

Love, 
Sister Andelin 

No comments:

Post a Comment