Dearest Family,
I don't have a ton of time. The internet was messed up at the fam hx center until recently so everything is off schedule. But I'll copy my email I sent to president so that will save some time :)
"This has been an interesting, but wonderful, week. Sister Henderson and I have really grown a lot closer this week and I think I have learned so much more about myself and how I interact with others-the good and the bad. I have learned a whole lot about the impact of being more positive and complimentary. Giving feedback for just things to improve on doesn't really motivate people to do better. But being positive and complimentary really does. I am trying to do better at that-both in my relationships with others as well as to myself.
I have realized this week that I have an extreme desire to be good at everything. While that can often be a good thing, lately it has been so discouraging. Sister Henderson has been so good at teaching me that it's okay to be bad at some things. And to not be the best at anything. But to just be myself.
I am so grateful for this opportunity to be here and serve the Lord. I have realized that the lessons I need to learn will come as I forget about myself and put my whole heart in the work. I don't need to worry about making sure I'm learning everything I need to. I just need to make sure I'm giving the Lord everything I have.
We have really been working on finding this week. We have tried so hard to talk to everyone and to spend more time on the streets. We found a new investigator this last week and I feel so blessed to be guided to prepared people. I know that this is the Lord's work. I know that He will bless us as we give Him everything. He doesn't just ask all our time and effort. He asks our whole selves. I am trying to give my whole heart to Him."
So yes. It's been a good week :) We did a free car wash on saturday with our whole zone. It was awesome. While people were having their cars washed we would take them on church tours and teach them about what we believe and then pray with them. It was a really neat experience. We had a lot of people come :) We were all in our proselyting clothes so it was exciting to wash cars in a skirt and then wash our hands off and take people on church tours. I have gained such a testimony of the Spirit that is felt in a dedicated church building. I never realized it before. I think I have always taken that for granted. But it has such a different feel than the rest of the world and people really do notice.
Several times this week we have received the comment that we are peaceful. I have been thinking about that a lot. The gospel truly does bring peace. The youth speaker was sick yesterday so they asked me to give a brief 3 minute testimony. As I was thinking about what I would share I kept thinking about two of the blessings that truly do come with the gospel. The first is the motivation to be better. The Gospel provides us the motivation to become better people, to get over bad habits, and to improve ourselves. And the Atonement of Jesus Christ gives us the hope and the ability to do so. I love this scripture: "Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immoveable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life" (Mosiah 5:15). We need to be always abounding in good works. And the gospel of Jesus Christ allows us to do that. The Savior can heal anything and everthing as long as we allow Him to. The second blessing that I was thinking about is the happiness that the gospel offers. Because we have the gospel we know that the trials we experience in this life are temporary. We know that there are blessing waiting for us as long as we are faithful. ANd we know that trials we experience can be spring boards for spiritual growth. I also love this scripture: "Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God and for his arm to be revealed" (D&C 123:17).
I know that that is so true. As we cheerfully do the things that we can, we have the hope that God will do the rest. How grateful I am for that knowledge.
Okay, I need to sign off. Thank you for everything! I am so grateful that I am here on a mission. What a marvelous experience it is. I will never be able to express in words how much it has and will forever influence my life.
Send me homeward bound if you can really quick. I have to sing it this wednesday at a sisters conference and would really like our version because I already know it. If not, Sister Tew is going to print off a SATB version. I also have to give a training on contacting. My best thing ever!! not. I don't know who had that idea. But I'm excited to do it anyways. Haha, I guess I get to learn because I have to teach. It'll be...awesome.
I love you so much!
Love, Sister Andelin
p.s. Sorry for my awful spelling and grammar. I can't think while I type. k bye.
No comments:
Post a Comment