Dear Family,
This week has been good. I don't really know what to write though. Haha that's what happens when you do all your pday stuff before you get to email. Hmmm.
The lesson that I learned again this week (this seems to be a repeating occurance...) is how much this mission is not about me. I guess I have to be humbled on a continual basis so I don't feel like I know it all. It's such a weird thing though, I feel so inadequate but then at the same time I don't trust in the Spirit as I should. The past few days have been pretty rough. But I have learned a whole lot, especially about how important it is to accept the fact that I can't do anything without the Lord and instead of stressing over it the whole time I just need to accept it and try as hard as I can to learn to rely upon Him.
In my studies I have been learning a lot about the importance of Baptism. Not only is it an ordinance, but it is a covenant with God, a witness to Him that we are choosing to change our lives to live them the way He wants us to live them. We promise God that we are going to comfort those that stand in need of comfort, to bear others burdens, to mourn with those that mourn, to keep the commandments, and to take Christ's name upon us. And when we live this way we allow ourselves to be numbered among those of the first resurrection that we may have eternal life. What an amazing blessing and promise just for us choosing to be obedient.
"And none were received unto baptism save they took upon them the name of Christ, having a determination to serve Him to the end" (Moroni 6:3). I love that scripture. Keith has been worried that he would be baptized before he knew enough. And although we reassurred him that we wouldn't let that happen, it made me start to think about it. And as I began to pray and study about it I realized what an important and crucial step it is. I realized how much better I need to teach about baptism. It's not just a 1 minute ordinance that makes you a member of the Church. It is the first step along the path of a life of obedience and sacrifice. A committment to God that requires you to sacrifice EVERYTHING. But in return for that sacrifice you get the greatest of all the gifts of God-Eternal and complete happiness. I've been pondering a lot on the quote by Joseph Smith that says something like this: A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things will never produce the faith sufficient for exaltation. How true that is. The more I have worked with people who have fallen away from the Church, the more I realize how much of a reality that is for anyone who chooses to stop doing the little things, the things that are vital to maintaining a testimony of the truthfullness of the Gospel. Often people complain that we are asking too much of them. But isn't that the whole point? We don't ask it, God does. And then He asks everything-our whole heart, might, mind, and strength. Because He knows that that will make us the happiest.
Another scripture that I have been pondering on is one that Chelle showed me (Chelle, you prob don't even remember this, but it has impacted my life so much :) "And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things." I don't know the meaning of a lot of things. And I can't answer a lot of the horrid anti mormon stuff that we get quite often. But I know that God loves me. I know that He loves all of His children. And that is sufficient for me. I was reading in the end of the Book of Mormon this week (I didn't quite reach the 90 day challenge, but I was close...). So much of it is so depressing. But when you read about the trials of the Prophets, particularly Mormon and Moroni, it makes their testimony so much more powerful. "And because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ. And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ" (Moroni 1:3). I want to have that unshakeable faith. I want to have that valiant testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ. And the more that I have read and studied, the more I realize that it comes only as we commit our lives completely to Him. We gain that faith as we live exact obedience to the commandments of God. I am so grateful for the examples you guys have been to me, and particularly for the things Mom and Dad taught us.
I guess this week has been pretty awesome. I have learned a whole lot. Sometimes it's super hard to be humbled. It hurts and I just want to give up and feel completely useless and inadequate. But that is not the purpose of being shown our weaknesses. "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" (Ether 12:27). The requirement isn't just humility. It isn't feeling awful about yourself. It is being humble AND having faith in Christ. And that faith motivates us to act. It allows us to move forward believing that with Christ we can do all things. Even when it's hard and you just want to give up and stop trying. Missions aren't very conducive to giving up ;)
We had a funny experience the other day. We were walking down Beach and we contacted a Jehova's Witness. Well, he wasn't interested and said have a good day and started walking faster so he got a ways ahead of us. And as he would pass the people walking the other way he would say something to them and gesture towards us. And by the time we got there they looked completely terrified (or just hurried and ran off the sidewalk). I was laughing so hard (and was trying not to be so mad ;) I wonder what he told them about us :)
Okedoke, I need to write President. Thank you for everything you do. I love you so much. Sometimes I just miss you guys so much that I almost cry. But then I just have to remember that I'm fine and just need to focus on today :) Have fun with all the awesome summer plans! Don't work in the garden too much Mom and Dad :) Make sure you have fun and love life. Oh yeah, this is the other one that I love "But be of good cheer. I have overcome the world."
Love you!
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment