Monday, July 29, 2013

June 24th, 2013



Dear Family, 

First and foremost: SABRINA IS GETTING BAPTIZED THIS SATURDAY!! I am so very happy. She is so awesome and is just so prepared. She told us on Thursday night that a few days ago she woke up one morning and just new that she needed to be baptized. She pretty much knows more about the church than many members. I feel like we haven't even taught her anything, but I am so grateful that I was blessed to be the missionary here when she was ready to take the lessons. Wow. What an amazing feeling. Please pray for her to be blessed with extra strength this week as she is facing a lot of opposition from close friends and family. Thankfully she has family (who she is living with) that are so very strong in the gospel and overwhelmingly supportive of her decision. 

Please pray also for Keith, Janette, and the Clark family. We decided to hold a fast Friday night-Saturday afternoon that they will receive the answers to their question of whether or not they will be baptized. Keith is going to fast for his answer and I'm pretty darn certain that he won't stand a chance with everyone fasting with him :) Besides, I think he already knows it is true, he just hasn't realized that he knows it yet :) He is so nice. He fed us lunch the other day haha. He told me that if I get transferred to a new area he is just going to move into whatever area it is ;)

Wasn't that an AWESOME (def historic) broadcast yesterday?! Wow. (I saw Joseph Andersen-that was awesome-and Tiffany Campbell from nursing. What a small world) I was *almost crying so many times. What a marvelous work this is. As I was listening I had so many thoughts about how to better help in this work. So many of them were for when I get home haha. It makes me want to move out of Utah when I have a family, but in reality, there is so much work to do wherever we're at. In fact, I was just reading a conference talk this morning where Elder Ellis reminded us that we have been taught to lift where we stand. The missionary effort is so important. Even more so than college, or work, or developing talents. Pretty sure the only thing that trumps it is family. But what better way to strengthen your family unity than working together to bring people unto Christ? We were definitely reminded of that yesterday. 

Something we have been instructed to do is to role play with our members to help them gain more confidence with sharing the gospel. Well....that was really really hard for me. We commit to do certain things every week in district meeting. I committed to do it and then when we failed that week I felt awful :\ So yesterday we did it! It was nice to go straight from the broadcast to our dinner appointment, we were totally inspired still from the words of our Prophet and Apostles. It was a little bit hard, but we role played with the family how to bring up the church in casual conversation. It was awkward (I still am good at making things that way haha) but I felt so good about finally fulfilling the commitment we made to do it. So our goal this week is to role play with every member family at dinner just a simple way to bring up the gospel with someone they'll see the next day. It really is more simple than we make it. 

I really loved the emphasis that was put on having Christlike love for the people we serve-let all our actions be motivated on love for these people. They are our brothers and sisters. They are children of God. He loves them as much as He loves any of us. And we have a responsibility to help them. Something else that was brought up so many times is that there is no line between serving people who have never received the gospel and helping people who have fallen away. They are all equally God's children and He wants all of them. Sometimes the elders laugh at us sisters when we spend a lot of time with less actives. But we were reminded that both are equally what we are sent to do. 

Something I have been thinking about a lot this week is how important it is for us to "let [our] light so shine before men." In Elder Scott's talk from conference (isn't it so so good?!) he says "The prophetic counsel to have daily personal and family prayer, daily personal and family scripture study, and weekly family home evening are the essential, weight-bearing beams in the construction of a Christ-centered home...Remember: little things lead to big things. Seemingly insignificant indiscretions or neglect can lead to big problems. More importantly, simple, consistent, good habits lead to a life full of bountiful blessings...One of the greatest blessings we can offer to the world is the power of a Christ-centered home where the gospel is taught, covenants are kept, and love abounds" (For Peace at Home, Elder Richard G. Scott, April Conference 2013). We were raised in such a home. We have it. We need to invite others to "come and see" and to feel of the Spirit that is there. 

Anyways.... This has been a really good week. I am learning so much. I think I am learning just how important it is to do our very best. Life is so much more fulfilling that way. 

We had a fabulous "tune-up" training on Tuesday. It was so very good. All about using PMG. What an inspired resource! On Tuesday/Wednesday we went on splits. It was fun. I was with Sister Scott in my area and Sister Henderson went with Sister Turner in their area. Thursday Sabrina told us she was going to be baptized which made it pretty much the best day ever. Friday we went to help a LA in our ward and it turned out to be a super long service project. But it was fun. We washed the whole front of her house to get it ready to paint. So we'll probably be doing some painting this upcoming week. There were lots of spiders and we got pretty wet :) Saturday we had lessons with Keith and Sabrina and contacted lots of people. And then Sunday we had that awesome broadcast. So it has been a great week. 

Here are some pictures from the week. Today we went to lunch with a gift card we got from a member. It was fun :) 

Well, I need to hurry up. One of these days I'm going to be faster at emailing :) 
 
My challenge to you this week: Make the gospel part of your everyday conversation. I know that most of the people you are with each day are members of the Church. But make it a habit so when it isn't that way you'll be all prepared. If you're asked how your weekend went, mention Church. Invite people to mutual. Invite people over to have a FHE lesson. Make it something that people can't help but notice. 

The gospel is so true. It brings so much happiness. What a blessing we have been given to have it in our lives. To be a part of Christ's church on this earth. 

I love you so much! 

Love, 
Sister Andelin 



No comments:

Post a Comment