"Dear President,
This has been an amazing week. Full of miracles.
A few weeks ago we had MLC and Elder Tewksbury talked about expectations. His training hit me super hard. I realized that I had let down my expectations and had lost faith that I would be able to see miracles on my mission like I always wanted. I assumed that because I was working so much with the sisters that I should be content with fulfilling my calling in that aspect as best as I could and then not expecting miracles among investigators. When I heard that training on expectations I realized how ridiculous that thought had been. I knew that I needed to change my attitude. I needed to raise my expectations. And I needed to strengthen my faith.
Just a while later (I think it may have been that week) we were on our way to an apointment. We were late so we were hurrying, but we decided to talk to every single person that we saw. As we hurried we talked to a few people who all said no. And then we saw a woman and her daughter walking by. In my head I thought, "they are just going to say no" but Sister Hartmann was awesome and talked to them. We began a conversation and found out that she had been baptized when she was 23, she had 4 daughters-3 of whom were not baptized yet-and she wanted to get involved in the Church again. We told her that it wasn't a coincidence that we had crossed her path and she responded, looking at the sky, "I think I'm getting the message.." We got her address and number and set up a time to come by.
Unfortunatley the apointment we had fell through. She said her daughter was sick but they wanted to come to Church.
The next day they didn't show up. We were super disappointed. All last week we tried to see them and got what we thought were just excuses of why they couldn't meet. Finally we invited them to a baptism on Saturday. They said they were going to come and we were so excited. Annnd they didn't come. We texted them and they said they were sick, that they wanted to come but couldn't, but that they would be at Church the next day.
Sunday morning came. We texted them that morning and didn't get a reply. We were so disapointed. Halfway through Sacrament meeting we glanced at the phone and realized we had missed several texts from them. They were on their way. They had come, couldn't find anyone they knew, and went home. Sacrament meeting was close to being done but I knew we couldn't not have them here. So I grabbed a ward missionary and we drove to their house. I was determined that they would come to church. Only one of the daughters was ready. We picked her up, took her to Sunday School and YW and then took her home afterwards.
When we got back to her house the whole feeling from the Mom towards us was different. She invited us in. She told us of her past experiences with the Church, how it had saved her life as a young mom, how she had fallen away, and how she wanted to come back. We sat down on the ground in the living room and taught the three girls, with the Mom in the back smiling. It was the most amazing lesson. It was simple. We taught about the Book of Mormon via the pictures in the front. We talked about Christ, prophets, the Gospel, and baptism. All three of the girls expressed in unison their desire to be baptized. We talked about what it meant. We promised them blessings. The youngest told us that she really wanted to be baptized ON Christmas. It was beautiful. We set a date with all three of them and with their Mom nodding approval they all said yes.
Miracles still happen. They happen as we have faith and put our trust in God. We are teaching a family. The Dad, Mom, and oldest daughter are already baptized. The Dad and daughter currently have no interest in the Church, but I know that as they see the Church change their family they will feel the Spirit.
I am so excited for this transfer. It is going to be hard. I am going to learn a lot. I'm excited to raise my expectations, to strengthen my faith, and to work miracles."
A few weeks ago we had MLC and Elder Tewksbury talked about expectations. His training hit me super hard. I realized that I had let down my expectations and had lost faith that I would be able to see miracles on my mission like I always wanted. I assumed that because I was working so much with the sisters that I should be content with fulfilling my calling in that aspect as best as I could and then not expecting miracles among investigators. When I heard that training on expectations I realized how ridiculous that thought had been. I knew that I needed to change my attitude. I needed to raise my expectations. And I needed to strengthen my faith.
Just a while later (I think it may have been that week) we were on our way to an apointment. We were late so we were hurrying, but we decided to talk to every single person that we saw. As we hurried we talked to a few people who all said no. And then we saw a woman and her daughter walking by. In my head I thought, "they are just going to say no" but Sister Hartmann was awesome and talked to them. We began a conversation and found out that she had been baptized when she was 23, she had 4 daughters-3 of whom were not baptized yet-and she wanted to get involved in the Church again. We told her that it wasn't a coincidence that we had crossed her path and she responded, looking at the sky, "I think I'm getting the message.." We got her address and number and set up a time to come by.
Unfortunatley the apointment we had fell through. She said her daughter was sick but they wanted to come to Church.
The next day they didn't show up. We were super disappointed. All last week we tried to see them and got what we thought were just excuses of why they couldn't meet. Finally we invited them to a baptism on Saturday. They said they were going to come and we were so excited. Annnd they didn't come. We texted them and they said they were sick, that they wanted to come but couldn't, but that they would be at Church the next day.
Sunday morning came. We texted them that morning and didn't get a reply. We were so disapointed. Halfway through Sacrament meeting we glanced at the phone and realized we had missed several texts from them. They were on their way. They had come, couldn't find anyone they knew, and went home. Sacrament meeting was close to being done but I knew we couldn't not have them here. So I grabbed a ward missionary and we drove to their house. I was determined that they would come to church. Only one of the daughters was ready. We picked her up, took her to Sunday School and YW and then took her home afterwards.
When we got back to her house the whole feeling from the Mom towards us was different. She invited us in. She told us of her past experiences with the Church, how it had saved her life as a young mom, how she had fallen away, and how she wanted to come back. We sat down on the ground in the living room and taught the three girls, with the Mom in the back smiling. It was the most amazing lesson. It was simple. We taught about the Book of Mormon via the pictures in the front. We talked about Christ, prophets, the Gospel, and baptism. All three of the girls expressed in unison their desire to be baptized. We talked about what it meant. We promised them blessings. The youngest told us that she really wanted to be baptized ON Christmas. It was beautiful. We set a date with all three of them and with their Mom nodding approval they all said yes.
Miracles still happen. They happen as we have faith and put our trust in God. We are teaching a family. The Dad, Mom, and oldest daughter are already baptized. The Dad and daughter currently have no interest in the Church, but I know that as they see the Church change their family they will feel the Spirit.
I am so excited for this transfer. It is going to be hard. I am going to learn a lot. I'm excited to raise my expectations, to strengthen my faith, and to work miracles."
Thanksgiving was good. We ate dinner with the Deans. It was really good. I'm going to write a real letter and tell you more about it.
Love you!
Love,
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment