How are you?!
There have been a lot of stressful things that are happening in our mission. Particularly one Elder is in the hospital with what they thought was meningitis but now they don't know what it is. His name is Elder George. Will you pray for him? I got to know him really well because he was a zone leader over some of my sisters so we worked together a lot. He is one of the best missionaries I know.
But outside of those stressful things, this has been a really amazing week.
One of the things that surprised me a lot about my mission was how much time we spent working with people have become less active in the church. This week we've visited many of those people. They all have varied reasons for choosing to not come anymore, but it's heartbreaking to see that they let things get in the way of their happiness. But a miracle happened this week. One of the women that I first met when I came to the area came to church yesterday!! It was the first time she has come in about a year. It is so incredible to see how much happiness it can bring you as a missionary when you see someone you have prayed and prayed and studied and worked for take a step to bring them closer to Christ. It really is amazing.
Being in Whittier has been so good for me. I miss HB a lot. I miss the people there that I came to love so much. But this has given me a chance to start fresh and implement things that I have been wanting to do for a long time.
We had Missionary Leadership Council on Friday. We talked a lot about the expectations God has for us. It is amazing to think that God just wants us to be happy. When we invite people to change, we should never lower the expectations God has for them by giving weak invitations. We should never just ask them to "read just a little, even just a few verses" in the Book of Mormon when God asks us to "feast upon the words of Christ." We should never just suggest that maybe they could try to repent, when God asks us to give up ALL of our sins to Him. It made me really think about the expectations I have for myself. Am I living up to the invitations I give to people every day on the street? Am I repenting daily? Am I praying with real intent and asking for specific answers and truly taking time to listen? Am I really feasting upon the scriptures? I am so grateful that I get the opportunity to be in a place where the circumstances are perfect for my individual growth.
Yesterday was fast Sunday. In the stake conference 2 weeks ago the Prophet asked all of the saints in California to pray and fast for rain. So that was the topic of our fast. And last night it rained. It was beautiful. I loved the obvious evidence of God answering our prayers. I know that didn't supply all of California the rain it needed, but it strengthened my faith.
Thank you for everything you do for me! I love you! Remember that God is so involved in the little details of our lives-always. He never is busy doing something else. He is always aware of us and our struggles and our joys and our trials. And He wants us to be happy. Don't give up eternal happiness for temporary pleasure. The Gospel is true. I know it with all my heart.
Love you!
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment