Monday, February 24, 2014

January 14th, 2014

Dear Family, 

Guess what?! We got to go to the temple this morning!! It was beautiful! I loved it so very much. We went to the 5:30 am session so we had to get up way early, but it was so worth it. I am so grateful for the temple. Especially this time. Often I leave the temple with peace along with some concerns or questions. But today I just felt such an overwhelming sense of gratitude for it all. I don't understand most of it, and I still have questions,. but today Heavenly Father blessed me to understand that it is this way for a reason and gave me so much gratitude for it. I love Him :)

This has been a really tough week.But I've learned so very much. I just want to tell you about one of the lessons I've been learning. 

On tuesday we were given a training by our Mission President. He had given this training once before, but this time it meant so much more to me. He talked about God and who He is. It was at a leadership training meeting and he told us that we were talking about the most important principle in leadership. 

He started by reading D&C 121:

41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

 42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

And we talked about that a little bit. About not gratifying our pride. But maintaining influence by righteousness. It was really good.

Then we read Moses 1:39

"For behold, this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

And then he broke it down.  
Work-This is His job description. This is what He does full time. This is what He spends His efforts and love and worry and everything on. It is His Work. 

Glory- This is what makes Him God. This is the difference between Him and people who aren't Gods. This is His Glory. 

So what is this? To bring to pass our immortality and eternal life. In other words, to bless those who don't deserve it. To help those who aren't really worthy of His help. Think about that. That is what makes Him God. That is what gives Him glory. Not because He has all power or knowledge or wisdom or anything. But because He wants to help other people have happiness that He has. Not because He is trying to make Himself better. Not because He wants to exalt Himself. Because He cares more about other people than anything else. He LOVES US! Isn't that amazing? 

So what does that mean for us? What does it mean then to become more like God? It means that we stop caring about ourselves and our glory. It means that we come to love others so much that we would do anything short of taking away their agency to help them find happiness. To do what is in their best interest. That is what true love is. 

Ah! I just love it so much! I love that that is who we are trying to emulate. That is what we are trying to become. It is amazing. 

And that is one of the things I have been learning this week :) 

Okedoke, I need to write President. I love you all! Remember that the Gospel is worth more than anything that gets in the way. It is really all that matters. Don't let temporary enjoyment or laziness or pleasure keep you from eternal joy. It is so worth it! 

Love you! 
Love, 
Sister Andelin 

No comments:

Post a Comment