This has been an exciting week. Here are some of the highlights:
Tuesday night: We saw the Zapolskys! I love them so much. We had asked Heather if she would like a blessing for her complications with getting her wisdom teeth out. She had said she wanted to think about it and then she told us she had some thoughts she wanted to share with us about it. So we went over on Tuesday and were able to have such a good conversation with her. IT was cut short because she had her yoga class, but it was the first time we had been able to be so up front with her about how much we care about the Gospel and how much we want it for her family. She asked us a lot of questions and we taught a lot about the restoration. It was beautiful. She had to go and she wanted Ed to hear a lot of what we said so she said we would schedule another time to come over again. Hopefully we can do that soon. I feel so strongly that I was meant to meet them and they are such a big part of my being here in Huntington Beach. Will you pray for them?
Wednesday: I woke up with a horrid, itchy, completely red right eye. It is making my eyes water just thinking about it haha. It hurt really bad and I couldn't see very well. So I couldn't put my contact in and I definitely couldn't wear makeup. I had an interview with President so we drove up to Long Beach and unfortunately there were so many missionaries there. Oh well. Good thing I'm not trying to impress anyone :) My interview with President was really good. I was able to talk to him and tell him about how I was doing and receive a lot of good counsel. I love him.
I also talked to Sister McOmber about my eye. She looked at it and told me that another missionary in my zone had just got pink eye so I needed to go in right away and get it checked or I would have to stay in all day. So...we had lunch with some other sisters and then went to the urgent care. IT was probably the biggest waste of an hour and a half and however much money it cost of my life. Ugh. He just looked at it for like 1 second (after we waited for forever) and told me to go get some antibiotics just in case it was pink eye. But he didn't know. Well I was kind of annoyed. So I didn't get the prescription
We also taught the Watkins that night. It was an insane lesson. Bro Horn was with us. He is a recent convert of almost one year. It was really good to have him there with us. My eye was hurting so bad. He noticed as it was so obviously red and told me that when he had pink eye he put raw goats milk in it. So...we went and bought raw goats milk and that night right before bed I awkwardly tried to dump some in my eye (I'm sure it was pretty entertaining to watch...) It immediately stopped hurting-beautiful relief-and when I woke up the next morning it was so much better. I think it must have to do with the fat in it? I don't know. Whatever it is, I put it in again that night and by Friday I was all better. It was awesome. He had also suggested breast milk and I just kept thinking about Jen and Nate. :)
Thursday: We had dinner with the Evans family. They are so great. Johnathan Evans was the one who was able to baptize Ashely and Lexus. And his dad is in the Bishopric. And they had us over for Christmas Eve. They are so cool. I want to be like them someday :)
We were able to have a lesson with the Lambs. It went really well. We were able to be so bold and invite her to come back to Church. While we were there though my heart was breaking as I saw how hurt the daughter was. I don't know what I can do in that situation, but it was so painful to see. But the Savior has the power to heal all things-including and especially family relationships. The Gospel really is the answer to any and all questions.
Friday: This was a crazy day. Full of appointments. Those are the most tiring and the best days of all :) Teaching really is the best thing. I love it. We taught lesson at 10, had a meeting at 11, and taught Cheri about family history at 12. This was so amazing. She was so excited to learn about family history. She wants so badly for her ancestors to have the blessings of the Gospel. It was really neat to see her excitement as she began to prepare names for the temple. We are hoping this will help her on her journey to prepare to go to the temple. Speaking of...I need to get her membership record from our ward clerk...We exchanged at 1 and then taught 2 other lessons that night and met a bunch of less actives. It was a good day.
Saturday: We were told that we were singing in the adult session of stake conference. So we had a practice that afternoon and then all had to sit up in the choir seats for the whole conference. And guess what? Cheri was asked to speak. She had practiced her testimony on us on Friday and it almost made me cry. As I sat behind her, listening to her beautiful testimony, I was overwhelmed with how much joy I felt. It was beautiful. I couldn't believe how happy it made me to see someone I loved so much as she bore her testimony of the power of the Gospel. It was amazing.
Here are some of my thoughts on happiness:
The work here is awesome. I love being a missionary. It is so very hard. One of the hardest things I've ever done. But it is so rewarding. It takes a long time to get to the rewarding parts, but they eventually come and you get to experience amazing joy-more joy than I have ever experienced. I think that was the favorite promised blessing in my call letter-the part about joy. I have always tried to search for happiness and I feel like I've slowly understood that you don't really search for happiness. You search for truth and for goodness and you live it and then happiness will follow. There's a quote by Elder Wirthlin that I just love:
"Those who make happiness the chief objective of life are bound to fail, for happiness is a by-product rather than an end in itself. Happiness comes from doing one’s duty and knowing that his life is in harmony with God and His commandments" (Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, Learn Your Duty, Ensign August 2012).
Sunday: Conference was, again, so amazing. It was a broadcast to all of southern California. Elder Arnold spoke, Sister Burton, Elder Anderson, and President Eyring. Mom and Dad, as I listened to those talks I kept feeling so much gratitude for the things you taught us kids. I am more and more amazed by how awesome my parents are. In all honesty, I can't even believe how many things you taught and did so naturally that so many other families miss out on. I am so grateful for the testimony that I developed as we help FHE every week, as we read scriptures as a family every day, as we sang together, and as you taught us to pray every day.
Okay, I'm out of time-whoops, sorry Elders!
But I love you so much! The Gospel is so true. It really is the most important thing we could ever have or ever offer someone else.
I love you so much!
Love,
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment