Monday, December 1, 2014

April 28, 2014

Dear Family,

First of all, thank you so much for the packages you've sent me this week. I feel so spoiled! I guess there are a lot of perks to having members of your bishopric and stake drive up to Utah so often haha :) I loved the shoes. They are perfect. And thanks for the bread. And the muffins! They are so good :) And the letters are always the best part of everything.

This has been a really good week. I have had a lot of time to think and ponder this week on why I'm even on a mission, why I do what I do, and what I want to accomplish on my mission and ultimately in life. I have thought a lot about what motivates me and what really are the desires of my heart. It has been so good for me and a rather humbling experience. I am so grateful that Christ doesn't expect us to be perfect all at once. This week I've realized how very far away I am from that goal. But I have re dedicated my mission and myself to striving to be the person God wants me to be, to develop the attributes and skills He wants me to develop, and to do  all of it to glorify Him and show my love for God and others. 

I've studied a lot about desire. God tells us that we are blessed (and judged) according to our works and the desires of our hearts. Christ's ultimate desire was to do His Father's will (Luke 22:42). Nephi was blessed because of his desires. And we are rewarded according to our desires: 

"The one raised to happiness according to his desires of happiness, or good according to his desires of good; and the other to evil according to his desires of evil" (Alma 41:5).

That seems kind of scary. Because sometimes our desires aren't as pure as they should be. But what is so beautiful is that through faith, God can change the desires of our hearts. "As we obey God, He blesses us. He gives us power to meet life’schallenges. He helps us change the desires of our hearts. Through our faith in Jesus Christ, He can heal us, both physically and spiritually" (PMG chapter 3, Faith). 

I am so grateful for that promise. I really do know that God never commands us to do things unless He makes it possible. And when He commands us to serve Him with all our heart, might, mind and strength, with an eye single to His glory, He will help us do that. 

This week I went on several exchanges. I'll just put pictures for the rest of the my email :) 

This is Sister Washburn. She's from Texas :) 
We had a really good exchange and I got really sunburnt. As you can see from the date, this was from before last week, but I'll include it anyway :) 




This is Sister Lindsey. She's from North Carolina (I think...) I love her. We were able to do an exchange in her area which is the singles ward so she covers an entire stake. That was fun...


This is Sister Ackerman: 
We did an exchange in her area in Cypress. Pretty much I'm always in Cypress these days :) She is awesome. She's from Shelley Idaho. She's one transfer ahead of me in the mish. 



I am really grateful to be on a mission. I love the Gospel. I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. This week is gonna be so so good :) 

Love you! 

Love, 

Sister Andelin

No comments:

Post a Comment