Monday, December 1, 2014

April 7, 2014

Dearest Family,

Conference was the best thing ever. I can't even believe how blessed we are to be able to listen to the words of our living Prophet and Apostles. They are truly called of God to lead God's church and to teach us God's word.

One of the things that I absolutely LOVED about conference was the emphasis on love. 

President Monson said that love is the essence of the Gospel. Charity is the pure love of Christ and it endureth forever. I've been thinking a lot about this lately. The ability we have to love others is limitless. Isn't that amazing? 

As I've been on my mission I've realized that being a mission is so much more a process of becoming rather than doing. I can DO a lot of missionary things. We talk to everyone, we teach when we find, we ask for referrals, we bear testimony, we read the Book of Mormon with our investigators, etc. But all of that will never be as effective as it could be unless we are motivated out of LOVE. When we truly love others we don't just do missionary things, rather we become missionaries. When we love others we put their needs ahead of ours, we want the best for them, and we are willing to work for it. We talk a lot about how faith is an action rather than a passive belief. In district meeting a few days ago I had the realization that that is what true love is. Christ tells us that if we love Him we need to keep His commandments. We can tell others all day long that we love Christ. But until we show it by our actions, it really isn't true love. And I think that is the same way with others. We can tell them that we love them, but until we show them by our actions it really isn't true love.

Being a disciple of Christ is all about having true love. Mom, you had us memorize Moroni 7 about charity. But I've been really studying/thinking about what those words actually mean. 

Charity suffereth long. Willing to suffer for a long time out of love. 
Charity is kind. 
Charity envieth not. We don't envy other's success/relationships/happiness. 
Charity is not puffed up. When we truly love others and love God there is nothing we would be puffed up or proud about. 
Charity seeketh not her own-we are so involved and concerned about others that we aren't just seeking our own happiness. 
And I love this one-Charity rejoiceth NOT in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth. Why is that? Because true love is pure. It is Christlike. And so we know that iniquity doesn't ever bring happiness. But truth makes us free. I am really striving to develop greater charity for the people I serve around and with. Because if we have not charity, we are nothing. 

In other news...
`The weather here has been hot and cold a lot. The nights get pretty chilly and then the days can get pretty warm. It keeps things interesting. 
`This is a 5 week transfer. 
`I taught at zone meeting on Thursday with Sister Perry. That was fun :) 
`Exchanges are going to be crazy this transfer-we did one last week and hopefully 3 this week. 

`I love you!! 

Love, 

Sister Andelin

No comments:

Post a Comment