How are you?
This
has been one of the best and hardest weeks of my mission. I have
learned so much and felt so much and I am so grateful for missions.
I'm just going to write about a few of the events that have really stuck out to me this week.
Tuesday:
We were able to go to the temple! It was awesome to go so close
together. That is something I am so looking forward to-being able to go
to the temple every week. It was such a beautiful experience. I felt so
strongly the goodness of the Gospel and the truthfulness of the
covenants we get to make with God there in His House. We were able do an
endowment session and then after spending good time in the Celestial
room we were able to go into a sealing room and watch President and
Sister Tew get sealed together for one of the missionaries ancestors.
And then have 2 missionaries stand in for a son and a daughter. Anna, it
made me so grateful for the opportunity we had to go to the temple and
have you sealed to Mom and Dad. We can be together as a family forever.
Isn't that incredible?
It was such a special experience. Oh how I love the temple.
Thursday: We
had a really powerful lesson with Larry. We talked about baptism. He
has been baptized for years and years, but he hasn't been keeping that
covenant and we talked about the blessings that come when we keep the
covenants or promises we make with God. Literally all Heavenly Father
wants for us is to have the happiness He has. He knows that happiness
doesn't come without a price. So He helps us make the steps that we need
to take to slowly change, every day, to become more like Him. If we
want to have God's happiness we must live like Him. And Larry saw a
little bit more a glimpse of that. And he said he would come for sure
this sunday to church. And he came!! :)
Friday: We taught Cathy. It was about our pre
earth life. I learn so much every time I teach-I think it's a trick of
the gospel haha. I am so grateful for the knowledge that we literally
lived with God before this life, that He has a perfect plan for us, and
that our Savior really did come to earth. He really did feel everything
that we've ever felt. And He really did suffer and die and rise again so
that we have the hope of a glorious resurrection and eternal life. The
more I learn about the Atonement of Jesus Christ, the more I appreciate
these words:
"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me. Confused at the
grace that so fully He proffers me....Oh it is wonderful that He should
care for me enough to die for me."
I truly am amazed at our Savior's love.
Saturday: We were able to attend the pioneer
stake picnic. It was awesome. And guess what? I participated in the pie
eating contest with all the elders. Haha, good thing I'm not trying to
impress anyone... We had to eat a cherry pie with no hands and whoever
was the fastest won. Of course I was the only sister who did it. Want to
see some pictures?
I know, I can't believe that I actually did that. But it was pretty fun, that's for sure :) Haha
Sunday: We
had a beautiful day. Cathy and Steven came to church! And Larry! It was
awesome. And sacrament meeting was fabulous. The Spirit was really
strong and the talks were so good.
After church we (sister Smith, Saunders, and I) were talking about
the importance of the Spirit in our lives. Over the last few weeks I've
really been pondering conversion. On my mission I've gotten really good
at explaining the gospel so that people understand. I use a lot of words
though. And I've realized that while understanding is essential, it is
not what converts people. That is why teaching simply, testifying often,
and inviting powerful is the only way people will progress. Because the
Spirit is the only thing that can convert people. Really really. No one
can be converted just by understanding, they MUST feel that the Gospel
is true. So it is so important to learn to teach with the Spirit. And so
my goal as a missionary should be to always have the Spirit with me so
much that people can feel it, to prepare by the Spirit, and to testify
with the Spirit so people will feel that the Gospel is true and then
desire to learn.
I've realized that that is how I became converted to the Gospel.
Mom and Dad, not only did you teach us the principles of the Gospel, but
you created an environment in our home where the Spirit could almost
always be there. So we could feel and be converted. I think one of
Satan's most powerful tools is to get us to be involved in little things
that detract from the Spirit. The other day we had to take our car in
to get it fixed and we came back a few minutes early and had to sit in
the waiting room with the TV on. And man, let me tell you. It was so
painful. And it wasn't even a bad show, just really ridiculous and not
uplifting and some dirty humor. And all 3 of us felt so distinctly a
decrease in the Spirit. Sister Smith said when we were talking about it
on Sunday how surprised she was that it made her that uncomfortable.
Because it was a show she normally watched at home. But living the life
of a missionary even for just a week had already increased her ability
to feel when the Spirit wasn't as strong.
We came to the conclusion that the whole purpose of lessons at
church, or youth camps or activities, is to invite the Spirit so people
can FEEL it.
The Holy Ghost is a celestial Being so if
anything we do detracts from the Spirit we know that that thing won't be
in heaven. And as we slowly begin to eliminate those things from our
life we will begin more and more to live a celestial life.
And we can then be so much more effective tools in Heavenly Father's hands to help Him in the work of Salvation of souls.
We had lunch with the Lows. We had an awesome lesson with Stacy. We met Denise-I'm so excited to teach her tomorrow!
And then it was the departure fireside. I don't even
know where to begin describing that experience. It was so beautiful and
happy. I was able to see so many people that I love so very much.
The Zapolskys were there. Oh, how I love them!
The Walks came-even after a 2 hr drive home :) Dennon is so big! I can't wait to come back and babysit Rowan and Dennon haha.
Bishop Baltzer, Bro Horn, Keith, the Bowens, Sister Haight, Sister Woerner, Lesta, Sister Adams, Sabreena! It was so good.
Oscar-my mexican grandpa from Whittier-was there!! I was so happy to see him!
Brother and SIster Kimura were there!
The Breamurs and Oly and Bee and Leah.
It's
amazing how much love you can develop for people in so short a time. I
think that one of the biggest blessings of my mission-that will affect
my entire life-is the relationships I have formed here.
I didn't take any pictures (so I hope all the people who did will
send them to me haha) except with a few of the other departing
missionaries at the very end:
These are two of my favorite elders (sh don't tell anyone)...
Elder Gallagher (guess what? He is related to the Petersons in our ward-he's cousins with Deidra and Hans. Cool, huh?)
And Elder Moala-He is one of the nicest people I've ever met:
We served in the same ward in HB, just at different times. He's awesome.
Anywho...hopefully I'll pictures with all the other
people I was able to see. It was such an incredible night. Man, missions
really are the best. I am so grateful for the chance I have had to
serve here and I"m gonna make these next 3 weeks the best 3 weeks of my
life thus far :)
Oh! And we got transfer calls! ha, I can't believe I
almost forgot. Sister Saunders is getting transferred and I'm getting
Sister Perry (God is so good to me) and Sister Tumurbatar (I have no
idea how to spell it yet). It is going to be good.
K, I love you!
Love,
Sister Andelin




No comments:
Post a Comment