Dear Family,
Guess what?
On
Saturday our mission had a special conference. The whole mission got
together for the first time in 2 years. And we got to listen to Elder M Russell Ballard, an Apostle of the Lord.
It was amazing. I kept having to remind myself that
he was there, in the same room as me, and not just on TV from Salt Lake
City. He spoke to us about learning the doctrine. He said when
missionaries learn the doctrine of the Gospel found in PMG chapter 3 so
well that they know they can teach it to anyone at anytime they become a
different type of missionary. They are able to find people and teach
them and help them progress in the Gospel. They become fearless because
they know Who they represent and what they teach and why it's important.
I thought that was so beautiful.
Then he opened it up for questions. I don't remember
what question prompted this comment, but he told us that sometimes,
when he gets "weary in the work" (and then he paused and said, I'm
almost 85 and I still work as hard as I did when I was 50) he takes out a
picture of the Savior. And he looks at it. And he thinks about Golgotha
and Gethsemane. And he remembers how wonderful it is that he knows even
a little about the Savior of the World. "And then," he said, "I can do
anything." I LOVED that. I want to become that type of person. That is I
get weary in the work, if I'm tired of people mocking me and slamming
the door in my face and telling me that I don't believe in the right
Jesus and that I need to go home and reeeallly study my religion because
I don't know what I'm talking about, when I get weary of that, that I
can stop and think about my Savior Jesus Christ. And remember what He
did for me. And remember Who it is that I actually represent. And then
can move forward with overwhelming gratitude that I get to be a part of
His work. That I get to come closer to Him.
Then Elder Ballard told us to wake up with a smile!
He said, even if it's pouring rain. Get up and think, "Yes! I get to be
persecuted for the Savior today!" I loved that :)
It was an amazing conference. He challenged all of us to do
what he did, years ago on his mission in England. To kneel down beside
our bed and recommit to the Lord that we will give whatever remaining
time on our mission completely to Him. That this is His work and His
time and we will work and do everything in our power to do what He has
asked us to do. It was beautiful.
And then on Sunday we got to hear Elder Acosta speak
again! He did such a good job. We had a special stake conference and
heard the Newport Beach Temple President and his wife, President
Devereux in our mission presidency, President Johnson, our stake
president, and Elder Acosta. It was amazing.
The Gospel is so good. Don't ever
forget it. It truly is the way we find everlasting happiness. It is so
so good. It brings peace in a hectic world. It offers comfort and
healing to the wounds of life. And all we need to do is do the small and
simple things the Lord has asked of us each day.
I love you! Read the Book of Mormon. It is the
keystone of our religion. Read the Bible. It teaches us so much about
the Savior. Serve others. And share the Gospel.
Love,
Sister Andelin
No comments:
Post a Comment